Thursday, May 22, 2008

Econ 101 @ Med School

eBay or any large auction site is a great tool for learning the principles of supply and demand. The review books for USMLE 1 (part 1 of the board exams) are now in a price spike because the summertime boards are coming up. Naturally the most recent editions are fetching the highest prices, but even the 3-4 year old sets do pretty well. I look mostly at the tried and true Kaplan review materials, (worked well for the MCAT) though by the time my turn comes, I may have amassed a pile of books taller than me. But there is a way to circumvent the brutal market forces--4th year students. Right now most of them are moving out to their residencies and getting rid of everything. Furniture, TV's, and review books. Often at a price much lower than eBay's. So for now, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for good bargains. At worst, I can try eBay after Step 1 has been administered.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/documents/Step_1_Prep_Book.pdf

No comments: