Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The other PETA









For a brief second I thought that there was some kind of joke. The site was dedicated to physical examination of a patient, yet it directed me to "Online PETA." As we all know, the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals oppose medical research on grounds that it is essentially animal cruelty. The organization's extreme methods of liberating research labs and pouring paint on fur coats have gained them enough notoriety, that most of us normal folk steer clear of them, which would include any of their websites. I clicked the link, just in case this was yet another instance of a famous acronym having a completely different meaning. Sure enough, PETA stands for Physical Exam Teaching Assistant. It's a nice site that I wish I had found about a month ago, though it's pretty obvious it'll be handy in the future. From the little that I've learned in medical school, one thing is quite obvious--no matter what you'll be doing, the physical exam will be a part of your daily routine. You'd better get it right sooner than later.

Link to Online PETA here.

No comments: